OPERA DEL DUOMO MUSEUM & BAPTISTERY
Dive into 720 years of Florentine history by visiting the New Opera del Duomo Museum and the Cathedral’s Baptistery
From statues to medieval and Renaissance reliefs in marble, bronze and silver made by the greatest artists of all times: With over 750 works of art, the New Opera del Duomo Museum holds the greatest concentration of Florentine monumental sculptures in the world.
The Hall of Paradise is astonishing for many reasons. Not only will you admire Ghiberti’s original golden door that faces the cathedral’s original medieval façade, which got entirely reconstructed on a 1:1 scale after it was destroyed in 1578. It was also in this room — The Hall of Paradise — that Michelangelo carved the DAVID on commission of the bishop. Of course, you will also have the chance to stand in front of Michelangelo’s PIETÀ — the sole sculptural masterpiece made by the artist for himself and his memorial.
- Professional art historian guide;
- Entrance fees;
- Audio system for more than 4 participants.
- Visit the New Opera del Duomo Museum and the Baptistery;
- Take in the masterpieces made for the Baptistery of San Giovanni, the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, and Giotto’s Bell Tower with your own eyes;
- Marvel at the incredible display of art in the Hall of Paradise: Ghiberti’s golden door, the Cathedral’s original medieval façade, and Michelangelo’s Pietà;
- Learn about the history of the golden mosaic of the Baptistery;
- Hear anecdotes about the most important Renaissance artists: Brunelleschi, Donatello, Michelangelo, and Leonardo da Vinci.
- Duration: around 2 hours;
- Language: English, Italian;
- Meeting Point: Duomo square, n.9 (in front of Opera del Duomo Museum), Florence;
- Available: Monday – Wednesday – Friday.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult;
- The climbing of the Dome’s cupola (which is not included in the tour but can be added to the program) is not recommended for participants with heart problems, claustrophobia, or other serious medical conditions;
- A small amount of walking is involved in this tour.
Enter the code 796B977E to get the discount on the tour.